I’ve been a bit slack on this jacket. It only occurred to me last night, when I read the Curious Kiwi’s post last night, that May was almost over and I hadn’t got around to finishing my Burda jacket.
So last night I sat down with three episodes of Desperate Housewives and a needle and thread to sew down the underside of the black edging to the lining of the jacket. Now, I know some people hate hand finishing garments. Personally find it relaxing to curl up in front of the TV with a programme that doesn’t require concentration and a sewing project on my knee. Last night that’s exactly what I did. It took me two and half hours of mindless TV and the jacket is finished.
The style of this jacket is a bit boxy for me, and I do wonder whether a heavier interfacing would have given it a little more structure. Having said that, it’s quite nice as a sort of cardigan-style jacket, which does “lift” a plain black outfit.
My original intention (Project17) was make a skirt in the same fabric; the jury’s still out on that idea. It might be a bit much, or a bit matronly. I’ll sit on that idea for a while.
Overall I'm pleased with this. I didn't use the Burda instructions at all. Just using a little common sense and the numbers on the pattern pieces it was a simple sew, and I'd recommend it as a first jacket for anyone interested in trying jackets for the first time.